Double strollers are ideal in the case of having two children, both of which happen to hover around the same age. Double strollers are looked at as a special commodity of sorts because they allow the entire family to have a day together. Just toss your little loved ones in the stroller, grab your spouse and set off for an adventure.
When it comes to double strollers, you essentially have a choice between two different types:
- Tandem strollers – this is the type of stroller that has two seats, but they are located in a line (as in, there is one seat in front of the other one). Some models will have the most forward seat equipped with features but sometimes forget about the back.
- Side-by-side Strollers – This is the model where the seats are located beside one another. They allow your children to have a fair/similar experience, but they tend to be much wider than the In-Line variety; which can prove to be a problem in tight spaces.
Most Optimal (and Flexible!) Tandem Stroller
This is one of the best double in-line strollers, specifically because it offers up quality and a lot of flexibility – which is key when you’re trying to transport two children at one time. The Contours Options Elite Tandem Stroller has a lot of useful features included within, and it’s made for some of the best strolling adventures that I’ve ever seen. Some of the key features would include:
- 7 different seating configurations
- Accommodation of up to 2 different car seats
- Easily foldable w/ both seats on, as well as auto-lock mechanism
- Handle bumps and rubber coated EVA rear wheels make it easy to go over all type of terrain
- Comes with a Universal Car Seat Adapter that will work for 10 different car models!
The Universal Car Seat Adapter it comes with will work with the following Infant Car Seats:
- Baby Trend®InertiaTM
- Chicco® KeyFit 30TM
- Graco®SnugRide® Classic ConnectTM, Classic ConnectTM 30, and Classic ConnectTM 35
- Maxi Cosi®MicoTM AP
- Peg Perego® Primo ViaggioTM 30/30, and Primo ViaggioTM 4/35
- Safety 1st®onBoardTM 35, onBoardTM 35 AIR, and Comfy Carry Elite
For the following infant car seats, you’ll need a different adapter that’s sold separately.
- Britax® B-Safe 35
- Graco® SnugRide® Click Connect 30/35/40
- Maxi-Cosi® Mico AP, Prezi & Nuna® Pipa
What’s ultimately going to help you make the choice is going to be the list of pro’s and con’s. If you don’t feel like the pro’s outweigh the con’s, you can rest knowing that you aren’t going to purchase that stroller. You always want more positive than negative, as if it wasn’t obvious!
- The handle can’t be adjusted but is suitable for just about any height you can imagine
- It maneuvers very well, regardless of the surface it happens to be working on – the tires are very good quality and which is great for long walks in a park. They even work well on grass, woodchips or gravel driveways
- Both seats can be removed, and it even comes with one Universal Car Seat Adapter, second can be purchased separately.
- Durable canopy that’s built to last – it’s also a pretty good size, the midsection of the canopy unzips to make it larger
- It’s good for children up to 40 pounds per seat (80 lbs total), regardless of age!
- The footrest can be moved up or down which is great for kids of different ages and lengths
- Equipped with a multi-position reclining seat; ideal for finding the most comfortable seating position for your child
- There is huge basket on the bottom of the stroller which can also be easily accessible from the side
- For a double stroller, it’s very compact and easily foldable!
- It’s about 40 pounds in weight, which could be considered as very heavy to some people; then again it is a double stroller, 40 pounds isn’t even a lot in the stroller world.
- The handles don’t adjust; good thing that it’s good for essentially all heights!
- Can’t remove the seating fabric to machine wash it – although you can just use wet wipes or something!
- The front bar on the child’s seat seems like it’s too high – especially when the tray is clipped in; it seems like it’s somewhat uncomfortable if you look at it (but my baby has absolutely loved it, no problems here)
- It doesn’t come with child tray, it needs to be purchased separately but there is a mesh pocket inside each seat where you can put a cup, a snack or a toy.
If you’re looking on the market for a reliable double stroller that can handle 2 kids of different age, this just may be the selection you decide to go with. It has an abundance of features to work with, and is perfect for a family that has two children. Not only will you make effective use of this stroller, but you’ll be doing so over a span of many years! It’s durable and well worth the money that you’ll be paying.
It’s an awesome stroller at a pretty reasonable price, so what else could you really be asking for?
Double Stroller That’s Very Versatile
Finding a baby stroller that’s incredibly versatile is like finding a diamond in the rough, they’re all designed to do something almost perfectly, but never an abundance of things. The Graco Ready2Grow Click Connect LX Stroller is going to be there with your child, all the way from their infancy up to their youth. If you’ve got multiple children to take care of, this is going to be a product you grow to appreciate.
- 12 different seating options to choose from!
- 2 seats that can serve a child, all the way from an infant to one in their “youth” years
- The front seat, bench seat and standing platform are capable of holding up to 50 pounds of pressure – the rear seat holds up to 40 pounds
- Removable tray for your child that can hold up to 2 cups or bottles, as well as snacks – there is a built-in adult tray with a cup holder too!
- There’s a large storage basket under the stroller itself to be used for anything extra, like diapers or other utensils, to be kept inside of
- Lockable front swivel wheels, to ensure that you won’t be slipping everything on uneven surfaces (like stones, gravel or even grass)
This stroller is very good for many different reasons, but there are a few (minimal) cons to it. As a result, it only makes sense to compare them to one another! Isn’t it exciting? The Graco Ready2Grow Click Connect Stand is perfect for a growing family, but why is that so? I want my kids to love absolutely everything that I buy for them, and that’s going to include the stroller we end up using. I spend a lot of time with them, and I want to be just as comfortable! This means finding the right stroller isn’t just something you can mess around with; you have to understand what makes a certain option so good! Let’s take a deeper look.
- This is the perfect stroller for a growing family, because not only does it seat two children – but it can be used as they grow and get older!
- The lockable front-swivel wheels truly are an amazing addition; they help stabilize your rolling while on bad surfaces
- The storage basket is large enough to carry just about anything you’d like (within reason, of course)
- There are a total of 12 different seating options to choose from!
- The tray system is uniform, and definitely comes in handy when you’re trying to help your baby have a snack (or just for holding your cup of coffee, in regards to the adult tray)
- It’s one of the most compact double strollers on the market, which is saying a lot since they are such a bulky product
- Compatible with any SnugRide Click Connect Infant Car Seats – this would include the SnugRide Click Connect 40.
- You can make the harness 3 or 5-points, through the use of detachable straps
- This product doesn’t come with a rain cover – although, that is something you could easily purchase yourself
- There are two seats, but one is facing the rear – just look at it like a little more privacy for whomever is sitting there!
- Only front seat reclines
- Only the child in the front seat will have a tray – but you can still put two children’s worth of food on it
Overall, this actually surprised me when it comes to double strollers. A lot of people can’t find a versatile double stroller because not a lot of them are made; the Graco Ready2Grow Click Connect LC Stroller is as optimal as it gets. It’s durable, has a lot of features included within, isn’t too expensive and will grow with your child (meaning you won’t have to replace it!). Although it can accommodate two children, you can use it for one child only by simply removing the the rear seat. Also, it converts to sit and stand.
If you’re seeking true efficiency, this is definitely the product, to begin with. As a mother myself, I wanted the skeptics out there to understand that this stroller is worth it. Don’t second guess yourself, just go out there and give it a try for yourself.
Excellent Tandem Stroller with Sit N Stand Option
We’re on to the last possible selection when it comes to tandem strollers, and the specific products we’ll be talking about is the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller. It’s the perfect fit for two children, even if they happen to be 2 or 3 years apart in their age. This stroller will allow the bigger child to stand up on the rear platform, or even just sit in the rear seat if they would like.
When you’re taking care of the kids, you want them to be rolling in style – but comfort is (of course) important as well. I’ve said it a lot throughout the guide, but you really want your child to enjoy the ride. I’ve used this product with a 4 month old, as well as a 24-month old; the age gap wasn’t a problem by any means. Both of them were able to use the stroller at the same time, and I was quite fond of that feat! It was a great option for when I wanted to take the kids to the mall, or even just for a walk in general. It allowed me to get out of the house much more, which is something you can truly appreciate as a stay-at-home mother. One of my children was about 22 pounds, and the other 34 or so when I was using this stroller; that’s how you know it’s built to last! It didn’t just crumble over 50 pounds of weight, so it was showing some durability.
There are plenty of interesting features included within the Baby Trend Sit n Stand Double Stroller, that’s why a lot of parents are relying on it to help them out on a daily basis. Some of the nifty features that you could possibly be making use of would include:
A Wonderfully Put Together Seat – This double stroller is equipped with a multi-position reclining seat (actually both seat recline, not all the way) , ensuring that your children will be comfortable enough for the tasks to come. Would I say that the seat reclines enough for both children to fall asleep? No, it’s probably not the best for that – if you could use a blanket or something to fix your child’s head, it may work out. Both canopies are capable of moving – the front one will fold up and have the ability to swing both backwards and forwards (the other one at the back just folds up).
Tray System – You’ve heard a lot about tray systems in this guide, this one happens to have one included. It’s pretty much a requirement at this point! There are 2 child trays with a cup holder, both of which are removable; there’s also an adult tray with two cup holders as well.
Compact – It’s very easy to fold this stroller up for transportation, and since you don’t want to waste 15 minutes of your day every single time you want to put away your double stroller, this is a necessity. There’s still a large storage basket, as well as a foot activated brake included.
I was really happy with the fact that I could enjoy my drinks while taking my kids around town. A lot of strollers forget about the fact that there is going to be a parent pushing the product around – we aren’t just physical labor, you know! By implementing cup holders, as well as a comfortable height in regards to the handles of said stroller, I personally enjoyed this product quite a bit.
If I had any complaints, it would have to be that the storage basket can be hard to maneuver at times. Sure, it offers up a lot of space – but the foot rest for the back seat of this stroller somewhat blocks it from coming out smoothly.
It was really easy to put together. No, seriously – it was really that easy to put together. I’ve put a lot of strollers together in the past, and this one would be in the top 5 list of “easiest stroller to ever be put together on the planet Earth”.
- Very easy to use – if you’ve never had a stroller before, you’ll still be able to make use of it
- It’s sturdy, built to last and will always get the job done
- You can handle two kids with the use of one stroller
- Easy to navigate hallways and such, as it isn’t a side-by-side double strollerTrays for both the children AND the parents!
- Capable of handling two different age groups at the same time
- You can attach one or two infant car seats, all Baby Trend infant car seats, Graco Snugride classic fit, Evenflo Embrace and Discovery, Britax Companion and Chaperone and Safety First On Board 35 Infant car seats to make a travel system
- The multi-position reclining seat doesn’t really work out in the way I thought it did – it’s still good, but getting my kids to sleep in this stroller can be a bit tougher than I’d like sometimes
- Like I stated before, the storage space is a little hard to access
- It is large when completely folded up but remember all double strollers are compared to the single ones.
The pro’s definitely outweigh the con’s, and that’s why I would recommend this product to essentially everybody reading this right now. Look through all of the double stroller options we’ve covered in this guide, odds are at least one of them is going to fit you and your children’s need perfectly.
Lightweight Double Stroller: Built for Versatility, Really Portable and Inexpensive
The first side by side double stroller that we’re going to be looking at is the Delta Children LX Lightweight Double Side by Side Stroller (I know, that’s a mouthful – but it’s worth it!). It’s one of those strollers that sports a very illustrious and lightweight frame, capable of being folded up incredibly easy for both transportation and storage purposes. We’ll get into the features a little more as we move a long, but first, I want to talk about what I think about this product on a personal level.
I’m a mother that doesn’t play around when it comes to strollers, and I know that a lot of parents out there will share my sentiments. If you want to work with a model that could be considered luxurious, but also affordable, this may be the selection that you decide to go with. Each seat is recommended a weight limit of around 35 pounds, but I’ve had 40-pound children in there with no problem at all.
Functional for the Budgeting Family
Functionality is a big deal with strollers, and when you don’t have the right features included, there’s going to be problems. Almost immediately, you’ll notice that the handlebars are in a pretty fantastic spot which is perfect for short let’s say 5’3 and tall 6 ft people.
The wheels are very functional and don’t have a tough time rolling, something that a lot of other double strollers have an issue with. I tested this particular model on an abundance of different surfaces – all the way from cement down to dirt. It did pretty well in all aspects. It’s a tight fit through most doorways, and in some cases, you may need to go in sideways; that’s where a bit of wiggling may come in handy. It turns very well, and I haven’t had a problem with functionality by any means. It can even go on the escalator if need be.
The weight limit is about 35 pounds per child, and people are more than likely purchasing this stroller for a multiple-child need. It handles two kids perfectly, but don’t expect to seamlessly fit a 5-year-old into this stroller. It’s great for ages 1-4 in a sense, but 5 could be pushing it (unless you’ve got a kid who’s relatively small in stature.
The multi-position reclining seat is a typical thing to see in these sorts of strollers, but the recline is rather minimal. That’s okay, as most double strollers weren’t designed to have children constantly sleeping in them anyways. There’s absolutely no storage basket included, which is a bummer. Also there is no tray for the kids. There is only a cup holder that can be attach on the side for the person pushing the stroller. It’s pretty much focusing on being practical and working well (as opposed to features).
Although it lacks some features, it’s still light enough to be gate checked. If you want to check through a security gate with this particular stroller, you’ll need to buy the gate check bag – it’s sold separately, but doesn’t cost too much money.
There’s a 5-point harness implemented with this stroller, and there are very soft shoulders pads that can be adjusted on the straps of your stroller. There’s a backrest that includes a strap as well; all of these components are built to stick around for more than a few years. You can use just a lap strap and skip the shoulder straps, and it’s cool to take note of the breaks on the rear wheels (cool is the wrong word, I was thinking of important!).
All in All: How Do I Feel About It?
I had low expectations coming in, but this product surprised me. The features are a little lacking, but it gets the job done – and kids can learn to love it as time progresses. They may not have a tray system, but they’ve got practical functionality! It is very lightweight, easy to collapse and put it back into the trunk. One thing to really take note of would be the sun shades as they seem a bit small. So except the sun shades it is excellent stroller and definitely worth the price. Not fancy but very functional.
Another High-Quality Side by Side Double Stroller
Joovy Double Stroller is one of those strollers that’s trying to change the way people perceive these products as a whole. Usually, they’re bland and just made to work as a functional piece of equipment for your child. When you’re looking into double strollers, there’s a certain focus on the amount of maneuverability that they give you.
If you can’t move around with ease, it isn’t a double stroller that you want to be purchasing. We aren’t trying to waste our money here, after all! It’s a lightweight double stroller that’s built to push up to 90 pounds in total – that means you can mix and match the children’s weight as you please (not to sound like a gameshow host or anything!).
The width of this stroller is going to sit at exactly 30 inches, so you know that you should be able to fit through essentially any door possible. There’s also a removable bumper bar, which means your kids won’t be able to get out and wander; an experience you never want to reiterate at a family gathering! This stroller presents that, as well as many other things. It’s very safe, and I would definitely make use of this product for my own children. Some of the other features included would be:
- The 5-point safety harness used in the seating process
- Large storage basket for anything relates to your children’s (or yours, if it applies) needs
- The canopy is one of the largest on the market, if not the largest you’ll find
- Both seats can be independently adjusted – they also have a mesh pocket included
- The 7-inch front wheels are large enough to guide you properly, and the 9.5-inch back wheels are there for easy pushing throughout the day; they make the stroller a very stable product
- There’s even 2 cup holders to keep your water bottle (or what have you) conveniently placed in front of your face
- There’s also two zippered pockets that can be used for a plethora of items: cell phones, wallets and purses would be some of the more obvious things to apply
- Folding isn’t a complicated process and takes merely seconds!
JOOVY is a brand name that you automatically associate with high-quality products, and the sheer amount of features included within this double stroller kind of let you know about that.
What Else Can You Tell Me?
As a relatively short mother, I can tell you that this is a good stroller for us little ones. I’m not the tallest person around, but this stroller still works for me – it’s pretty tough to find something that is comfortable for both the children and the person operating said stroller as well. The front wheels are able to lock, but this isn’t the kind of buggy you want to be jogging with. You’ll need a much more active stroller for that; but this is a nice fit for walking through the mall or parks (or anything related to that). The front wheels swivel properly, and the stroller has a great balance to it; it even fits through doors with ease! Something that a lot of double strollers struggle with.
It’s able to be used in grass, gravel and almost every single kind of surface you can imagine – it isn’t hard to push either, which can make or break the sale for some people. Even if you plan on taking longer walks, but not jogging, this is still a very solid option to keep on your radar. As far as the suspension system goes, this stroller is equipped with 4-wheel suspension. This is necessary if you want the smoothest ride possible! Your child should be at least 3 months or older when using the JOOVY Scooter with them – and it sucks to say, but this stroller cannot be used for a car seat! The maximum child weight would be 45 pounds in each seat, which is 90 pounds in total.
It includes the “Infinite Recline System”, which pretty much means you’ll be able to recline the seats as you please. One thing to note is that you can recline both seats individually! The canopy offers a lot of coverage from the direct sunlight that could harm your child, and it extends pretty far in comparison to the other double strollers I’ve used in the past.
How Convenient Can It Be?
It’s compact and foldable, as the best double strollers should be. It allows for you to take them around with ease, without worrying about a lengthy and frustrating de-construction process. This stroller doesn’t come with an actual tray of any sort but, it comes with two cup holders on the back that are just as convenient. It doesn’t accept any car seats, at all – so it suitable from 3 months and up, if that’s the main concern of yours, you should take a look at some of the other strollers options we’ve listed in this guide.
Travelling W/ a Double Stroller
This is the great travelers option, as it’s just compact and can be folded with one hand and carried easily. If you’re looking for a double stroller that is going to be used for travelling, and essentially only that, this is one you shouldn’t skip over. The JOOVY Scooter X2 is made to be folded up easily, and within seconds; there’s even a removable bump bar to cut down on the amount of space being taken up. In total, the stroller weighs in at 32 pounds – it’s not the lightest, but it clearly isn’t the heaviest. I would say it’s settling somewhere in the middle, with the folding capability of an incredibly lightweight double stroller.
Summary of This Stroller?
All in all, this is a very good stroller that has a huge canopy to work with. This thing seems really easy to push, which is saying something, considering the fact that you’re more than likely going to be pushing for almost entire days. The seats are tall and will be suitable for even the larger variety of kids, and it’s one of the most durable double strollers you could consider on the market today. The only thing that I wasn’t a big fan of? It would have to be the lack of tray. It’s a small problem in a sense, but it’s something that I found a tad bit annoying.
I would still recommend it in many different cases, especially if you plan on travelling with multiple children. It’s safe, it’s effective and there’s even a storage bin to keep all of your important items in. They’ve got essentially everything covered with the JOOVY – the only thing it’s missing is some trays! In the end, that’s something that most of us can live with. The turning radius is fantastic, and it fits through most doorways without any sort of struggle.
It’s very maneuverable, which is something you always look out for in a potential stroller (let alone a double stroller). There is a lot of storage and shade to work with, and it’s ultimately the perfect piggy back double stroller for any potential families out there. Effortless pushing has never been seen like this before! Trust me, it’s pretty great. All in all, it’s a fantastic deal, and does the job that some $500 strollers would do! A lot of miles are going to be put on this stroller when you own it, it’s only a mere matter of time.
Side by Side Double Stroller on a Budget: Getting More Out of Your Selection
In order to get the most out of your selection, you simply have to pick the right choice! I’ve seen a lot of people experimenting with the Graco Fastaction Fold Duo Click Connect Stroller, and I’ve seen it with (mostly) positive results). Of course, personal preference can play a factor in which product you end up buying – that’s why I’m here to just give you suggestions. This Side by Side Double Stroller is capable of holding up to two 50 pound children at once; that’s a total weight limit of 100 pounds. When you think about a compact stroller, the double variety usually doesn’t come to mind.
This product is going to change that, as it offers a very slim and lightweight structure up to its users. The frame is capable of fitting through doors with ease, and the fact that you can use two Click Connect infant car seats just makes it very efficient as well. The Graco Fastaction fold process is something that’s going to astonish you as well, as it takes one simple motion to fold the entire stroller over. The two seats are equipped with a multi-position reclining process, and both seats can be reclined on an independent level. There’s dual canopies and both of them have shade visors – it’s essentially a very sleek double stroller that’s fit for parents of two.
Keeping the Entire Family Comfortable
Are you the type of person that likes to walk on trails with your children? Well, you already know how rough the terrain can get – and that means your comfort is going to be affected (as well as your child’s, which is the most important aspect here). It does decent on packed down trails, but paved and smooth should be preferred. There aren’t all-terrain tires equipped on this stroller, so you shouldn’t be trying to push it to its limits.
You can fair okay on somewhat rough terrains, but don’t expect to do very well while walking through very rocky trails – one thing to keep note of is that is turns and can be maneuvered quite easily. The mobility is a key factor in your stroller’s performance, hence why so many people are picky about this feature. You cannot jog with this stroller; those options are going to be covered a little later on in this guide. If you’re short, never fear – I’ve heard that people from 5’3 to 6’1 have comfortably used this stroller. Unless you’re around 6’10, you should be find; but if that were the case, I don’t think any stroller would be comfortable for you! The handlebars cannot be adjusted.
This stroller will allow you to walk around with a toddler and a newborn at the same time, that just goes to show you how versatile it can be in regard to the age limitations. When you want to use this stroller with a newborn, you’ll need a car seat to go alongside the stroller – it only works with the Graco Click Connect car seats (nothing else will work, but you don’t need an adapter). There really is no minimum age requirement for this stroller, but a weight limitation would be in place. The seats are able to recline with ease, and can even go almost flat. Infants should be comfortable due to the amount of recline they can get with the seat itself – if you want to avoid using a car seat with this product, wait until your child reaches around 4-5-months of age (again, this is just a recommendation).
Some other key features of this Side by Side Double Stroller are:
- A storage basket that is quite large
- Canopies that help block the sun out from entering the stroller
- A tray system in place that also comes with 2 additional cup holders, and even 2 additional spaces to use for storage (parent tray)
- It’s very lightweight and compact – flips and folders over without and hassle
- Click Connect compatible, regardless of the model number you have! No adapter is needed!
- Safety is very important – all you need to do is push your foot down on one of the brakes to stop movements (there is a one-foot break on each side of the stroller, located at the rear)
To conclude this review, I just want to reiterate how awesome this stroller is. There are a lot of features to use, and that means you can include your child in an abundance of your daily tasks. It won’t be a huge hassle to walk all over the city anymore because you’ll have a reliable stroller to work with. That’s why I always suggest that you shoot for the higher-end stroller types – they simply have much more to offer than most others do. If you wanted to keep your children safe in an effective manner, and also keep your budget in check, this is a solid option.
As a mother, I would never put my children in a stroller that was dangerous or uncomfortable. I could care for a newborn and a toddler all at the same time with this stroller, and I wouldn’t even break a sweat; now that’s why I call being a super-mom!